Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Walter Benjamin response

1. In the first section of the text, Walter Benjamin talks about the difference between an original work of art and the difference between the two being original and being something that can be reproduced. He states that man-made work has always be reproducible such as replicas, however reproducing through mechanical means represents something new. My thoughts on that are somewhat different. I disagree with that statement. In my opinion, anything that was not your idea is still bound to the original creator, therefore anything that was not your idea in the first place cannot represent something new even through mechanical means. 2. I found section 8 to be interesting because it compares and contrasts a film actor from a stage actor. I agree with Walter Benjamin when he says that film actors cannot really adjust to their audience since his performance is being relayed through a camera, whereas a stage actor can do so, and in turn his audience then becomes his camera. I found the comparison and contrasts in the text interesting. Such as how photography became really useful since it captured things fast-paced compared to lithography.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Interesting disagreement there. To a degree, if someone repeats an action of someone else, it is always bound to their creation. Plain and simple. But I think there could be another layer to this. Some (you included I may imagine) would say 'nothing is original anymore'. And that may be true. But perhaps combine two unoriginal things, and it may make something as an end result 'original'. Though this alchemy is not necessarily mechanical, but by a human mind. Nice insight.

    2. Having done both photo and litho, it is an interesting comparison too. Whenever I have done lithography prints, I 'always' drew my own images. Perhaps to take advantage of the mystical aspects that 'that' image could have only born from the moment I drew it, printed it, and erased the toxic oil to create a new print. There is something about the absence of reproduced imagine that may seem more.. genuine in a way.

    ReplyDelete