Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Dada Review

Luiza Benisano
Dada
Art 343
            The Dada exhibit I walked into was my favorite exhibit to visit. I was not really familiar with the Dada movement until I learned it recently in class. By my interpretation, the Dada movement is the anti-art, which means that it does not have to mean anything at all. Another way that I saw the Dada exhibit was that it was a form of anarchy in an artistic sense.
            The works displayed in the JOT Travis gallery exemplified much of that meaning behind the Dada movement. One work consisted of writings and painting with only the letter e, which of course did not resonate any meaning with me. I also watched a 2 minute video that had all kinds of imagery that didn’t really have a connection including the letter e.

            The work that stood out to me the most was a car door painted with the word “The same”. This piece actually consists of a car door, a painting and a photograph all meant to convey the importance of relationships. This piece was called “The Meeting” by Erik Burke. I liked his work so much that I ended up bringing home a poster that inspired his work. The image is two buses. One bus says, it is not the same and without you on the second. I rarely see art works that try to convey the importance of relationships, which is probably why I really enjoyed his work. Overall, the Dada was exhibit was aesthetically pleasing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment